This document provides more detail on what information we store about you and what we do with it.
Why you have to register to access our site
The magazines and websites published by Route One Publishing are principally financed by the advertising and marketing services we provide to the construction and transport industries.
We ask you to register for this website so that:
• We can provide our advertisers with a demographic overview of our readership so advertisers can support our products, confident that their messages are reaching the right people;
• We can help companies in our industry to contact you directly with special offers and messages appropriate to your business interests without disclosing your personal information;
• We can better understand our readers‘ editorial needs and tailor our products accordingly;
• We can assess your qualification for a discounted subscription to our print magazines World Highways and ITS International;
• We can invite you to contribute to articles that match your experience. We require you to renew your registration regularly. We‘ll tell you when it needs renewing and ask you to confirm or update your details.
What information we collect about you
Your visit to our website is anonymous (no personal information about you is recorded or gathered) unless you sign in to the website, register for an eNewsletter, or forward an article. When you register to access the website, we store all the information you provide on a secure system.
This information is used to administer your website registration and any magazine subscriptions you have and to send you editorial and commercial messages which reflect your business interests. We may also use your information to inform you of other products or services available from Route One Publishing Ltd and its affiliates. We may also contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current services or of potential new services.
Our visitor registrations and magazine recipients are audited by BPA Worldwide www.bpaww.com
, which verifies who our readers are on behalf of our advertisers. We will ask you a personal question (such as the month you were born, the town you were born in, the colour of your eyes)
as an 'electronic signature'. Since we couldn't possibly guess this, it confirms to BPA that you're a real person who's asked to access our site or receive our magazines.
We record the number of times various links and adverts on the site are clicked but do not link this to your identity.
We analyse our server logs to assess how many visitors we are getting and where they are coming from. Information your computer provides to our server for the purposes of enabling you to access this site might also be available to us.
We do not link any of this information to you personally, but may share aggregated data about visitors. This information includes which country visitors come from, which internet service providers they are using, which browser versions they are using, how long they spend on the site, and how many pages they view per visit.
When you send an article to a colleague we collect all the data you provide in a secure area. This information is used to ensure that our copyright is not broken, it also allow us to communicate with you and your colleague, to offer further products or services linked to our companies. If you use the website to send an article to a colleague, your email address will be disclosed to the recipient. This data will not be used after these communications and will be destroyed.
This website use "cookies" to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a Web page server. Cookies are not used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the services on this website.
We analyse our server logs to assess how many visitors we are getting and where they are coming from. Information your computer provides to our server for the purposes of enabling you to access this site might also be available to us. We keep track of the websites and pages you visit within this website, in order to determine what services are the most popular. This data is used to deliver customized content and advertising within the website to customers whose behaviour indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area.
We do not link any of this information to you personally, but may share aggregated data about visitors with other parties. This information includes which country visitors come from, which internet service providers they are using, which browser versions they are using, how long they spend on the site, and how many pages they view per visit.
This site uses Google Analytics to track user sessions, for more information please click here
Who we share your data with
If you use the website to forward an article to a colleague or friend, your email address will be disclosed to the recipient.
From time to time Route One Publishing Ltd may share data with other reputable companies using carefully selected third-party mailing houses to send you special offers and product news both within and outside the European Union. These mailing houses will only use your data for the purposes that we have commissioned them for. This information may be sent by post, email or fax unless you opt out. The shared data will be destroyed after its use.
Some of these mailing houses may be based outside the EU.
If you are based in the EU, by registering for our website, you consent to us exporting your data abroad. If you do not want Route One Publishing Ltd to collect or process your personal data, please do not submit it.
Your details may be passed to BPA Worldwide for the purposes of auditing our registration and subscriber records. BPA Worldwide may contact you directly to confirm the details of your registration, including the answer you provide to the personal question. BPA Worldwide will not disclose your information to any advertisers. We appreciate your support in this matter which makes free services such as this website viable.
Our website support team and website design agency may have access to our databases for the purposes of maintaining and improving the website.
We reserve the right to share your data with other parties as required by law.
Opting out of communications
You can opt out of:
• Receiving our regular eNewsletter containing news about the industry, industry events and updates to our website
• Receiving promotional messages and special offers by fax, email or post. You can do this when registering or by editing your profile on the website. We use email to communicate with you about your website registration and magazine subscriptions. It's not cost-effective for us to use other communication means, so you cannot opt out of receiving admin messages like this from us. By registering for or using our websites you give us permission to use your information in this way. To update your details, advise us of your preferred communication methods or to remove your details altogether, please contact the Customer Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updating the policy
Transfer of business
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please address any questions to email@example.com